Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Janice McQueen Ward: November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month and the loss of a loved one...

Sorry it has been so long since my last post. This blog is meant to document volunteerism, but this has not been a good year, thus hard to post on a regular basis and equally hard to always be positive and uplifting, so please understand my need to just state fact.
I just attended the funeral of my father-in-law, Jack Ward. On May 14th, I was in Washington, DC, volunteering as a Lobbyist for Lung Cancer Awareness, when I got the call about my father-in-law. He had just been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer, on the anniversary of my mother's death, YES - how is that for ironic! I know the pain my husband, Tony, is suffering and it isn't easy to lose a loved one this way.
When I told someone, they said something odd - "well, you have another cause now!" An odd thing to say, and yes I have another reason to reach out and help others, and yes, 1 in 3 people are directly affected by cancer. SO, why have I been touched by cancer so much? - with my mom, my father-in-law, my aunt, my great uncle to name a few, and I have watched both my parents die as I held their hand. I don't know why I have been touched more by this dreadful disease, but my quest is to find the answer to that question, and to do anything and everything I can to help raise awareness, funding and education along the way.
Please visit www.nationallungcancerpartnership.org or www.lungcanceralliance,org to see how you can help; also visit the American Cancer Society. thanks for allowing me to share. blessings!
Janice McQueen Ward: November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month and the loss of a loved one...



TKPN
PageantCast Home
Frappr Map
Podcast Pickle Page
Our Feed
One Click Subscribe in Juice
One Click Subscribe in iTunes

Digg!

No comments: