Friday, February 09, 2007

Highland's modest Miss America hopeful finishes in top 10


Putting together a Miss America wardrobe in which all the dresses had sleeves and the swimsuit was modest wasn't easy, but Miss Utah Katie Millar was determined to maintain her standards.

As part of her Miss Utah mission statement, Katie said she was determined to prove to young women everywhere that you can be successful without compromising your values.

"My message as Miss Utah expands beyond just the pageant world," Katie said. "I hope that I am an example to all young women that you can uphold traditional values and be successful at the same time."

And Katie, who's from Highland, was successful. On Monday in Las Vegas, Katie joined the ranks of only four other Miss Utah titleholders to become a top 10 finalist at the Miss America competition.

"I wasn't expecting to make the top 10, especially because when I was called there were only four slots left and 46 other contestants," Katie said. "After they called the sixth finalist I felt a sudden calm and then I heard my name. It was pretty thrilling to be a national finalist and see my face on the big screen."

As part of the top 10, Katie competed against nine other finalists in swimsuit and evening wear. She turned heads as she walked out on to the stage in her modest one-piece swimsuit.

"Some of the other contestants turned to her before she went on stage and said, 'You are wearing that? You have got to be kidding?' " said Katie's mother, Rita Millar. "But when she went on to the stage she looked absolutely fabulous. She had a unique glow about her."

More at the Source




TKPN
PageantCast Home
Frappr Map
Podcast Pickle Page
Our Feed
One Click Subscribe in Juice
One Click Subscribe in iTunes

No comments: