Thursday, March 08, 2007

03/05/2007: People You Should Know: Burlington resident will represent Wisconsin in Miss USA pageant

Name: Caitlin Morrall

Age: 23

Personal/family: I am the only child of Ken and Debra Morrall of Burlington

Education: I am a 2001 graduate of Burlington High School and currently attend Alverno College in Milwaukee majoring in elementary and middle school education.

Hobbies/interests: I enjoy cooking and baking, working out, golfing, fishing, watching movies, and dancing

Occupation: I am a substitute teacher and camp counselor at the Prairie School in Racine. I just finished my third year as the varsity pom pon squad coach at Burlington

Volunteer service: As a delegate for the Miss USA pageant I champion breast and ovarian cancer awareness. I am also an advocate of character education and have recently become a spokesperson for the Racine affiliate of “The Ophelia Project” which works to stop relational aggression, particularly among school-aged girls.

Recent accomplishment: Becoming Miss Wisconsin USA 2007. The pageant was held over Labor Day weekend in Richland Center. I competed with a field of about 43 girls.

How did it come about?
I had always wanted to compete in pageants since I was a little girl. My baby sitter had held the title of Miss Burlington and I of course wanted to be just like her. When I was 18 I began competing in the Miss America System and since then have held titles as Miss Racine 2002, Miss Milwaukee 2003, Miss Southern Wisconsin 2004, and Miss Burlington Area Chocolatefest 2006.

Through these titles I received the honors of third runner up, second runner up, and first runner up twice at Miss Wisconsin, Miss America System. After friends, family, and even judges suggested that I would excel in the Miss USA pageant system I decided to give it a try. They were right because I won the state title on my first try!

Why is it important? The delegates who become part of the Miss USA organization are goal-oriented savvy, and aware. They display those characteristics in their everyday lives, both as individuals, who compete with hope of advancing their careers, personal and humanitarian goals, and as women who see to improve the lives of others. The organization works hard to provide opportunities for the advancement of their titleholders.

One choice of a dinner companion, dead or alive: My grandmother, Betty Morrall, who passed away when I was 5 years old. Not only would I like to have a relationship with her in my adult years but I know she would be enjoying this adventure along side the rest of my family with great pride and excitement!

My friends describe me as: A very eclectic person. My tastes are very diverse whether it be in music, entertainment, or my hobbies.

I knew I was an adult when: I still don’t think I am an adult!

My first job/weirdest job: My first job was as a receptionist at the “Country Thunder Music Festival” when I was 15 years old.

Person I admire most:
My father, Ken Morrall. Not only do we have a wonderful father-daughter relationship, but I was fortunate enough to have him as one of my high school teachers for three years in a row. To this day he remains to be my all time favorite teacher. As a future educator I try to model myself after his examples. I think he is one of the fairest people I have ever met, he shows a great respect for his students, and has a great passion for the subject he teaches.

What I miss most from my childhood: I miss riding my bike down to the candy shop with my best friend and buying that silly candy like wax bottles, shoelace licorice and, candy lipsticks. We must have gone there at least twice a week!

In the next five years, I would like to accomplish:
I will have graduated with my education degree from Alverno College and have plans to obtain a master’s degree in special education focusing on the high school level students with cognitive disabilities and/or severe handicaps.



TKPN
PageantCast Home
Frappr Map
Podcast Pickle Page
Our Feed
One Click Subscribe in Juice
One Click Subscribe in iTunes

No comments: