Saturday, July 15, 2006

Miss Texas pageant had hits, misses

By JOY DONOVAN
Special to the Star-Telegram

Along with quite a few other Northeast Tarrant County people, I grabbed a hefty dose of glamour last week at the Miss Texas Scholarship Pageant.

Some of the people -- like former Hurst Mayor Bill Souder, Hurst-Euless-Bedford Chamber chief Mary Frazior and Debbie Kellum, whose store Ashlin's in Grapevine supplied the contestants' designer jeans -- come back day after day, even year after year. It's like eating potato chips -- you just can't stop.

I've been attending as a reporter for a decade. The Star-Telegram doesn't make me go; I volunteer. During intermission, or some other break in the action, I tried to figure out why I go. And, just like you might love potato chips' salt but hate the grease, there are some things I like and don't like so much:

I like that these young women learn some really useful interview skills.

I like that they try to keep up with current events, actually reading newspapers and forming educated opinions on current events.

I hate that some of the winners in the swimsuit competition -- euphemistically referred to as "physical fitness in swimsuit"--were not exhibiting what looked like physical fitness. It looked to me, as I observed one contestant's concave stomach in shock and horror, that boniness was being rewarded, not fitness.

I love that these women know how to dress well. Their classic interview suits are gorgeous and elegant, usually accessorized beautifully. These people will know better than to ever show up at the White House in flip-flops.

I hate that a lot of them did the "fake-bake" thing, turning their skin a weird shade of orange. White skin just might look better.

I hate that some of them have bleached their teeth until I swear they'd glow in the dark.

I love the stunning evening gowns. From at least as early as my Barbie-playing days, I've loved sequins and beading and gobs of glamour. Does that make me frivolous? Nope, it's just an appreciation of a fabric-based art form.

I love watching the dancing and listening to the singing. The talent in the outstanding teen program, which held its preliminaries simultaneously with the Miss Texas pageant, was amazing. Everyone there agreed, and if you weren't there, you really missed some wonderful entertainment.

I love watching many of the contestants return several years in a row and getting to see how they've tweaked their talent presentation or maybe changed their hair.

I love that a lot of people, for reasons I don't exactly understand, give a lot of time and money to help improve a young woman. Many of the local pageant directors, besides providing their own resources, assemble a mob of experts to aid their contestants.

I like that people help these college students win scholarships.

I don't think the Miss America Pageant resembles much of the original 1921 version held in Atlantic City, but that's OK. Now, even in some reality-TV hybrid, it's an institution and a tradition. It helps young women better themselves in a myriad of ways and put their best foot forward.

Source



TKPN
PageantCast Home
Frappr Map
Podcast Pickle Page
Our Feed
One Click Subscribe in Juice
One Click Subscribe in iTunes

No comments: