Thursday, August 27, 2009

More than a pretty face

APPLE VALLEY • There’s a new queen among us and she lives in Apple Valley.

Jessica Cassidy was crowned Queen of America’s 30s at the Beauties of America pageant in Myrtle Beach, S.C. The competition is divided by decade, with winners for teens, 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s.

“I thought I would win first runner-up. That’s how I usually place,” Cassidy said. “When they were announcing the winner and they called my name, I was shocked.”

But in another way, she was ready. Cassidy has been serving as Mrs. California in the Beauties of America pageant system since October. In that time, she estimates, she’s put in 70 to 75 hours of community service, giving speeches and making public appearances.

“When you’re a state-title holder, I think it’s important that you represent yourself the way you would represent yourself nationally,” Cassidy said.

“My brother was diagnosed (with cancer) earlier this year,” Cassidy said, “so that one was really close to my heart.”

 blog it

No comments: