Saturday, May 24, 2008

Miss Universe 2009: VN designer working on ao dai for Miss Universe

VN designer working on ao dai for Miss Universe
07:37' 17/05/2008 (GMT+7)

Designer Vo Viet Chung
VietNamNet Bridge – Vo Viet Chung has signed a contract with the organising board of Miss Universe 2008 pageant to design ao dai for competitors. Eighty-five ao dai that Chung has nurtured for a long time will go to the stage on world-wide beauties in the coastal city of Nha Trang this July.

You have signed a contract to be the sole designer of ao dai for Miss Universe pageant. Could you share your happiness with us?

When I was a small boy, each time I watched international pageant contests on TV, I dreamed that one day they would wear my clothes and that dream has become reality. This is the greatest happiness and luck for me in my over 10-year career.

How special will be your designs for the contest?

I will design 85 ao dai for 85 contestants from all over the world. Each design will have its own characteristics and will be different from the others. Each ao dai will be a story, which shows the cultural uniqueness of each country.

I divide them into four collections based on the four seasons – Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. When my ao dai go to stage, you will see a colourful picture of nature and a splendid flower garden of Mother Nature.

I want to present to contestants and introduce to international friends a special gift: unique designs that appear for the first time at a Miss Universe pageant. They are my passion, my sentiment and my soul.

But how can you find the essences of all 85 countries within a few months to show them in your designs?

It was very hard for me to get accurate measurements of all contestants from the organising board. I also had to seek information about the colours of their skin, hair and eyes to choose the most suitable materials.

My ao dai will hold closely to the body to help show-off competitors’ body curves. The colours will be various to render the four seasons. I will keep the frame of Vietnamese traditional ao dai and add some suitable renovations. I want to prove that ao dai is not an old thing. It is very modern and romantic.

Learning of the cultures of 85 countries has taken a lot of time. I have to read documents and find out what are the most outstanding features of these countries. I also have to look at traditional clothes of these countries and filter the most special things to use in my ao dai collection, which I call “Miss Universe”.

More at the Source



TKPN
PageantCast Home
Frappr Map
Podcast Pickle Page
Our Feed
One Click Subscribe in Juice
One Click Subscribe in iTunes

Digg!

No comments: