Friday, October 09, 2009

TLC's 'King of the Crown': Meet beauty pageant expert Cy Frakes

by Tim Stack
clipped from popwatch.ew.com

Tonight TLC debuts its reality series King of the Crown at 9 p.m., starring beauty pageant expert Cy Frakes. The 12-episode series follows Frakes and his team at the Columbia, S.C.-based Gowns and Crowns as they work their pageant magic on various young women. One of their clients is Caitlin Upton, the 2007 Miss Teen USA contestant whose geography answer became a YouTube sensation, who shows up in tonight’s premiere. The fabulous and funny Frakes stopped by EW’s offices for a chat about business, beauty, and butt glue..yes, butt glue.

EW: How did you become an expert in beauty pageants?

FRAKES: I’ve been in the pageant business for 23 years. I think it’s just been kind of a metamorphosis over time. I directed pageants and then I produced them and then I was an emcee. And for a long time I was a judge. Over the years, I saw the girls changed but the mistakes they were making didn’t. I decided I could help these girls be better and stronger contestants.

 blog it

No comments: