Sunday, February 03, 2008

Way To Go Miss America!!

OK - I’ll admit it, I watched the Miss America Pageant on Saturday night…but let me follow that up by quickly saying what a great surprise it was. And let me say to the pageant organizers that I think it was a very brave (and VERY SMART!)move to break away from the traditional beauty pageant format and give Miss America a make-over and brand her as the new It-Girl….it worked!

Some parts of the show worthy of special mention:

  • The dreadful pageant opening number - you know “HI, MY NAME IS JENNY SUE SMITH AND I’M FROM GRAND ISLAND, NEBRASKA!!” All of this being said while the contestant is dressed up like a giant ear of corn. What a refreshing change to hear the women come out and in jeans and cute shirts and introduce themselves normally and identifying their home states with an interesting or obscure fact about that state. My personal favorite was “I’m Sally Smith from the great state of Washington. How do you like them apples?” (My friend Caryl and I are going to have to find something else to make fun of - this always gave us lots of material…)
  • They encouraged the gals to strut their stuff in their bathing suits, the talent competition was actually fun to watch instead of painful and during the evening gown competition there was not a man in uniform with a sword (think stiff contestants walking under a sword tunnel to some creepy slow musical serenade). It was great!
  • All contestants stayed on-stage in bleachers and ate donuts after their run was up.
  • The viewing audience selected a favorite that made it into the final 16. Their choice was Miss Utah, a blonde bombshell who is a member of the Armed Forces and has served in Afghanistan. She was amazing! When her time came to move to the bleachers and binge on carbs, she, along with four other contestants dropped to the floor and did push-ups (yes, REAL push-ups that would put most men to shame!) in their dresses - it was awesome!

Anyway, I just thought the whole show was very well done and I loved the message that was sent to young girls. Although the contestants were still stick-thin, tan and well-endowed, I think it was a step in the right direction.



TKPN
PageantCast Home
Frappr Map
Podcast Pickle Page
Our Feed
One Click Subscribe in Juice
One Click Subscribe in iTunes

Digg!

No comments: