Sunday, April 16, 2006

CMT viewers will help crown Miss America '07 - but why?


Saturday, April 15, 2006 - Bangor Daily News

Reality television is taking the Miss America Pageant to a new level and allowing viewers to choose nearly half of the final 15 contestants, according to the Miss America organization.

My question: Is this really necessary?

While there's nothing wrong with allowing America to choose seven of the final 15 contestants, it messes with tradition - my tradition.

As a little girl, I would spend the night at my Nana's house - school night or not - for every pageant.

We would eat junk food and I would dance and sing and pretend to walk the runway in my "gown," dreaming the dream of every little girl. Even today when I get the chance to watch the pageants in my own living room, I can't help but think of twirling around the living room, pretending I had the biggest, shiniest crown in the world on my head.

While I suppose that giving America the authority to vote for its favorite final few really doesn't change anything, in some small way it does.

Pageant officials don't seem to share my grief that an 85-year tradition is changing.

"This is a great change in direction for the continued evolution of the Miss America Organization," said Art McMaster, president and CEO of the Miss America Organization, in a press release earlier this month. "While we deeply value and honor our organization's traditions, we believe that this series will only increase viewer interest while showcasing the talents and character of these amazing women."

In each episode leading up to the pageant, seven contestants will compete in bathing suits, evening wear, talent and interviews.

At the end of each show, viewers will be able to vote for their favorite potential Miss America by phone and at www.CMT.com.

The final 15 selections will be announced live during the pageant telecast. The judging of the 15 finalists will follow the same established rules as in years past.

The seven-part series, "Finding Miss America" will begin airing on CMT in January 2007. (At least I have some time to prepare myself for the change.)

Last week, I wrote about auditioning for "Survivor," and I've received a few e-mails from readers asking how to find out about reality show casting calls.

Short of doing a Google search and finding a slew of casting lists that may not interest you, log onto individual network sites and search for casting information there.

ABC has one of the easiest lists to find and follow. After going to ABC.com, scroll down and click on the "ABC casting" icon. A list of more than a dozen shows will appear with links to audition information.




TKPN
PageantCast Home
Frappr Map
Podcast Pickle Page
Our Feed
One Click Subscribe in Juice
One Click Subscribe in iTunes

No comments: