Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Miss America Lauren Nelson Passes The Torch

By Miss America, aka Lauren Nelson , USA
Date Posted: 01/18/08
Reader Rating: rating

I am handing over my crown at the Miss America pageant on Saturday, January 26, 2008. I’m pretty sad about it ending actually. I dedicated four or five years to this organization. It’s the end of an era in my life, and definitely a bitter sweet moment.

I don’t actually remember watching Miss America every year when I was a little girl in Oklahoma, but I do remember looking up to the girls that were competing. I was in awe of them, so to be able to represent that later on was just amazing.

I started competing when I was about 16 years old. Four years later, I was crowned Miss America 2007. (It’s interesting to note that there’s only ever been a couple Miss Americas that have done “kiddie pageants.”)

In those moments when we were waiting to hear who was to be crowned, I knew it could go only one of two ways; my life was either going to completely change, or I was going to go back to the life I knew.

When I was named Miss America, it was definitely surreal. The first thing I remember was looking into the crowd and seeing the Oklahoma crowd cheering for me. That moment flies by so fast that you really don’t even realize what’s happening.

I was definitely a bit apprehensive about my new job. I really have to tell you that the first week that I was Miss America was probably the hardest week of my life, because I was newly 20, traveling across the country and not knowing when I was going to get to go home and see familiar people.

I was definitely nervous about the responsibility. Everything you do and say is representing the Miss America organization. It is a lot of weight to carry because you’re reflecting all the other contestants and people involved. The judges definitely crown Miss America because she’s ready to take on that responsibility from the start.

After the first week, I settled into my job and started loving it.

More at the Source



TKPN
PageantCast Home
Frappr Map
Podcast Pickle Page
Our Feed
One Click Subscribe in Juice
One Click Subscribe in iTunes

Digg!

No comments: