Saturday, September 01, 2007

Teen beauty's pageant flub brings laughs to millions


Original posting from Monday at 1:42 p.m. ET: An 18-year-old beauty pageant contestant is getting some unwelcome attention thanks to YouTube and the blogosphere.

Lauren Caitlin Upton, the reigning "Miss South Carolina Teen USA," was asked during the national competition why so many people can't find the USA on a map. Her answer was so confusing that TMZ says "it couldn't have made less sense if she were speaking in ancient Selonian ... in fact, maybe she was!"

Despite the fumble, she came in third at the annual Miss Teen USA competition in Pasadena, Calif.

Ironically, the video that has rocketed to the top of the most-viewed list lines up with Upton's platform, which involved "putting a smile on other people’s faces."

Upton spoke with The State about her plans. Here's her modeling portfolio.

Update Tuesday at 8 a.m. ET: Upton talked to The State about her flub.

“I didn’t do anything wrong. I wasn’t expecting (the question). I lost my train of thought,” she says.

She plans to appear today on one of the morning shows. “I just want people to know that I’m an average teenage girl, living life to the fullest, learning from my mistakes and living life in a positive way, and that is all I can ask for," Upton tells the paper.

Update at 10:11 a.m. ET: NBC's Today show just gave Upton a chance to answer the same question, which dealt with a survey that showed 20% of people can't find the USA on a map. Here's her second take: Personally, my friends and I, we know exactly where the United States is on a map,” she said. “I don’t know anyone else who doesn’t. If the statistics are correct, I believe there should be more emphasis on geography in our education so people will learn how to read maps better.

More at the Source



TKPN
PageantCast Home
Frappr Map
Podcast Pickle Page
Our Feed
One Click Subscribe in Juice
One Click Subscribe in iTunes

No comments: