Sunday, January 15, 2006

Female ministers rage over pageant

Source

Female ministers are furious over Oslo vicar Einar Gelius' plans to sit on the jury of the committee to choose Norway's representative in the Miss Universe pageant.

"I think it is repulsive that middle-aged men ogle 16-year-old girls in underwear. The situation is not made any better by one of the men being a clergyman," youth vicar Margit Louise Holte told newspaper VG.

This year's qualification pageant has been advertised by organizers as "sexier and more playful than ever". In addition to bikini sequences and personal videos by contestants, segments will include underwear modeling for the first time.

Gelius, who has been in the spotlight before for his avid support of Oslo soccer club VĂ¥lerenga, said he is tired of criticism from Norway's Christian community.

"I expected some fuss, but now I think it has gotten out of hand. This has been very difficult," Gelius said, though he said he had no regrets.

"And I will not withdraw as a judge. But I have reflected at length on what taking part in this means in relation to my role. I must be able to do things in my free time without being confronted with the fact that I am a clergyman," Gelius told VG.

On Friday Gelius announced that he was withdrawing from participating in the event, after a request to do so by Oslo bishop Ole Christian Kvarme.





TKPN
PageantCast Home
Frappr Map
Podcast Pickle Page
Our Feed
One Click Subscribe in Juice
One Click Subscribe in iTunes

No comments: