Thursday, May 11, 2006

Miss Minnesota Knows Fairways And Greens

Image

Bob Rainey
Reporting

(WCCO) Since leaving the University of Minnesota in 2003, former Gopher Karyn Stordahl has dreamed of playing on the LPGA tour, but she may have missed her big break.

"I was selected for the show, which I was absolutely thrilled with," Stordahl said.

Last summer Stordahl, 25, was offered a spot on the Golf Channel's popular reality show "The Big Break V" in Hawaii which concluded this week.

Stordahl turned down the opportunity to concentrate on her duties as the recently crowned Miss Minnesota and her preparations for the Miss America Pageant.

"It just was too tough to do both at once, to compete for Miss America and do a reality TV show," Stordahl said. "So I had to say, you know, my first priority right now is with Miss America."

Stordahl would have been one of 11 women to competing for prizes and a spot in an LPGA event, plus a year's exemption on the Futures Tour.

Many of the women on the show have been competing professionally for years and despite her recent focus on pageants, Stordahl said she could have held her own against the tough competition.

"I know that I can get my game back very quickly," Stordahl said. "I'm a competitive individual, so I would have done very well."

Not only did she miss a chance to further her golf career with the exemptions, but she also missed out on the tremendous exposure that comes from being a part of a weekly series on national TV.

That would have been a big boost for Stordahl, who hopes to combine her love of golf with a career in television. She already co-hosts a local golf show on cable.

"Even if I didn't win Big Break, it might be a wonderful opportunity for me to break into that career as well," Stordahl said.

While she missed this opportunity she's hoping for another. The Golf Channel told her she's more than welcome to audition for the next Big Break

"If I get the chance to do it again I'll definitely take it," Stordahl said.

When she relinquishes her crown next month, Stordahl said she'll focus on the two things she couldn't do while being Miss Minnesota: spend a lot of time on her golf game and get married.

She plans to wed former Gopher and current Indianapolis Colts tight end Ben Utecht in July.

Source: http://wcco.com/sports/local_story_131005605.html

We interviewed Karyn Stordahl in Pageantcast 006.




TKPN
PageantCast Home
Frappr Map
Podcast Pickle Page
Our Feed
One Click Subscribe in Juice
One Click Subscribe in iTunes

No comments: