Friday, May 26, 2006

Mama dearest

By Gilbert Garcia Pop Music Critic
May 25, 2006, 20:58

Club chanteuse Kristine W raises the roof while raising 2 kids


COME TO MAMA: Kristine W belts it out at Station 4,
R&B, soul and pop may still have their own diva in-fights, but on the dance charts, there’s no denying what queer fave Kristine Weitz brings to the game. Performing as Kristine W, the sexy former Miss America contestant has to date banked a record nine consecutive number-one dance hits — beating out the seven consecutive chartings from both Janet Jackson and Madonna.

Last year, when Patti LaBelle performed versions of her favorite songs for the “Classic Moments” album, Kristine W’s “Land of the Living” made the cut, with Weitz herself singing on the track. As the Las Vegas-based chanteuse readied for her upcoming Dallas gig on Friday at Station 4, she discussed her roles as a military booster and unlikely mommy figure.

How did a Washington beauty queen end up being a gay icon? The gay community chose me. I went from being a big star in the pageant world to a successful Las Vegas performer. Then I went to Europe to pursue my original music and came back to discover I was a gay icon. I never planned on it happening, but it’s been a great marriage.

You’ve described your life as that of a soccer mom by day, dance diva by night. How do you balance showbiz and raising two kids? I’m blessed to be surrounded by some very supportive people. You can’t raise balanced objective children without a lot of positive people around them. The showbiz part of my life was always second nature to me. And now I share that energy with my children.

Do you bring your kids to your shows? I do — depending on the event. And when I feel it’s appropriate.

Any good stories as a soccer mom on the road? I was playing a New Year’s Eve circuit party. From the DJ booth, my daughter Elizabeth said to me, “I’m glad that I’m not down there, because everyone is sweating too much!”
Another time, at Kansas City Pride, I asked my son what he thought of my show. He said, “Mommy, you were great, and everyone was screaming your name. But did you know the lady next to me had a beard?”
He was 4 at the time.

You’ve been a big supporter of the U.S. military. And Memorial Day is just around the corner. If you could play a show for our men and women in uniform, what message would you convey to our closeted gay and lesbian troops? I think that the gay and lesbian troops should know that we are behind them and that they are always in our thoughts. They are our light to freedom and from prejudices of all kind. As for songs, I performed at the American Veterans Awards television special, and I was amazed at how “I’ll Be Your Light” [from Weitz’ self-titled 2003 album] resonated with everyone there.

What’s next? I have a new single coming out that was produced by DJ-remixer Tony Moran. It should be a great summer hit. I also just returned from Los Angeles, where I was in the studio completing my new jazz album. And of course, you can expect me to be appearing across the country this summer — spending time with the fans that gave me all my hits.

Station 4, 3911 Cedar Springs Road. May 26 at 12:30 a.m. $10 advance, $15 at door. 214-559-0650.




TKPN
PageantCast Home
Frappr Map
Podcast Pickle Page
Our Feed
One Click Subscribe in Juice
One Click Subscribe in iTunes

No comments: