Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Family inspires Miss Michigan


Motivated by her mother's strength, Miss Michigan was determined to "make it."

Danelle Gay, 24, of Lapeer, was crowned Miss Michigan in September, awarding her the opportunity to compete in the Miss USA pageant next month. This accomplishment, and other milestones, were achieved as a result of her drive to push herself to success, despite the odds.

At Gay's age, her mother was married with children.

"But she still managed to finish high school and go on to get her medical assistant license," Gay said proudly from her Lapeer home.

A Lapeer West graduate, Gay went on to Central Michigan University where she not only graduated in December of 2003 with a degree in interpersonal communication and a minor in marketing, but participated extensively in charity work.

Gay was also involved with the cheer program at Central Michigan University, was an affiliate of the Zeta Tau Alpha sorority, and participated in extensive fund-raising for the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. She received a proclamation from the City of Lapeer for her community involvement, was rookie of the year for the Michigan district with First Horizon Pharmaceutical Sales Company, and currently volunteers for the Kiwanis Club, the Boys and Girls Club, and the Eastern Michigan Food drive.

But most important to her and her family, she was the first to graduate from college.

"I knew I had to do it," Danelle said. "Not only for my family, but for my cousins," who, she went on to say, are young and haven't had the opportunity to see a relative graduate from college.

"I wanted to be a good role model, they are very young."

Danelle's mother, Roberta Pethers, said her children understand the importance of education.

"While the kids were growing up, I instilled in them how important an education was," Pethers said. "Because I started my family so young, I knew that they were going to go to college one way or another. . . I will never forget the chills that I got when they announced her name and she proudly walked across the stage at Central.

"I cannot explain to you how proud I am of Danelle. When she puts her mind to it, she knows for a matter of fact what she want and will not stop until she accomplishes it. She truly is my best friend. I am blessed to say that she is my daughter."

Danelle never forgot what pushed her so hard to get the job done.

"Self motivation and my family are the two reasons that I was so determined to make it," she said. "And I knew that I wanted to be successful in life."

She is hoping that her success follows her to the Miss USA pageant in April. Her motivation certainly is, she said.

"I'm really excited," Gay said. "I got to meet 25 of the girls two weekends ago in LA . . . It was good to get some of the nerve out of our systems. We feel like we have a head start."

Viewers can find Gay on the televised Miss USA pageant on April 21 at 9 p.m. on NBC.

Source: http://www.countypress.com/stories/032606/loc_20060326002.shtml



TKPN
PageantCast Home
Frappr Map
Podcast Pickle Page
Our Feed
One Click Subscribe in Juice
One Click Subscribe in iTunes

No comments: